Thursday 17 March 2016

How To: 'Golden Gaytime' Cheesecake

Hi Nibblers!

          One of my best friends Thao celebrated her 23rd birthday a few months ago. She was overseas on her actual birthday so we had a belated celebration. Thao and I have known each other for half our lives. We had actually crossed paths at an after school tutoring class but didn't know we actually went to the same school. We were in two different classes and it was too early in the year to know anyone else in the grade. It wasn't until school had finally started and we both rocked up in our matching uniforms to the tutoring class that we were acquainted. From then, we hung out together at school together during breaks and have been trucking along since.
           What I love about our friendship apart from all the giggles we have is our love for food. Thao has been a lover of cheesecake for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately for me, cheesecake hasn't been on the top of my list. I do understand the cheesecake hype though. Crunchy biscuit base, smooth velvet centre with a zesty kick, who couldn't fall in love with it? However, after years of being in denial and peering over at Thao when she's had a cheesecake in hand has converted me. So, in celebration of our friendship and to honour her love of cheesecake I surprised her with one for her birthday. By now you Nibblers know that I love to experiment so, I decided to combine an Aussie classic dessert 'The Golden Gaytime' (also one of Thao's favourites) and cheesecake together. This recipe turned out exactly how I envisioned and luckily for me, it was a hit with her! I'm so happy with how this turned out and now you guys can give it a go too.

How To: 'Golden Gaytime' Cheesecake



Makes one 20cm x 20cm cheesecake
What you'll need:
Base:
- 75g unsalted butter (melted)
- 100g biscuits (I just used a simple digestive biscuit)
- 150g honeycomb chocolate bars (I used Crunchie bars)
Filling:
- 300mL thickened full cream
- 3 Tbs. white sugar
- 250g cream cheese
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 50g Jersey caramels
- 2 Tbs. milk
Topping:
- 1/4 cup of granulated peanuts (roasted)

How To:
Base:
1. Place crushed biscuits and honeycomb into a sealed bag or food processor and crush until it roughly resembles bread crumbs
2. Add melted butter to mix and combine until well coated
3. Place buttery biscuit mix into cake tin and evenly spread across base of tin and sides to form a cup well for filling to go into later - use a cup to help press down on biscuit mix for a more even look then place in fridge to set or until needed
Filling:
1. Pop caramels and milk into a heat proof bowl and melt caramels until smooth (either quick pulses at 30 seconds each time in the microwave - stirring in between or a double boiler method) then set aside to cool
2. Beat thickened cream and sugar until firm stiff peaks form then set aside
3. In a seperate bowl, beat vanilla, lemon juice and cream cheese until well combined
4. Fold thickened cream and cream cheese until well mixed
5. Place filling mixture into tin and smooth around to the edges

6. Spoon small amounts of caramel sauce around the cream cheese/cream and then using a skewer, swirl around to create a marble effect
7. Sprinkle roasted granulated nuts over cheesecake the place cheesecake to set for at least 4 hours before serving!

             This recipe was so simple to make and definitely a crowd pleaser. With a lovely honey combed biscuit base, zesty cheese filling with hints of caramel goodness and a peanut crunch on top it certainly sounds like every 'Golden Gaytime' I've ever eaten. I hope you enjoyed this recipe! If you do give it a go, be sure to comment below.

Nibble Away,

                    Jo

                 
                 

2 comments:

  1. I've just made this! Looks delicious! May I ask how long it will keep??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heidi!
    That's so awesome! If you keep the cheesecake covered and in the fridge, it'll keep until the thickened cream/ cream cheese lasts :)
    I hope those helps!
    Jo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...