Sunday 12 May 2013

How to: Peanut Butter Cake Pops

Hey Nibblers!

       I just wanted to wish all the Mums out there a Happy Mother's Day.
       It was foggy one in Sydney this morning but that cleared up and we had a beautiful, sunny day. My Mum had to go to work today so, I wasn't able to hang out with her as much. Luckily, we were super organised and made it a whole family affair yesterday to celebrate.


      I made a 4 desserts for our dessert table. I made my 'Carrot Loaf' but  in muffin form which took only 20 minutes in the oven, my 'Banana Bread' in muffin form (20 minutes int he oven) with chocolate and nut coating, Profiteroles and Peanut Butter Cake pops!

'Carrot Loaf' muffins and 'Banana Bread' muffins. Just as moist in muffin form.
The whole table full of sweets and finger food in the lead up to our hot-pot dinner
            The success of all four desserts has left me in a lovely mood that I thought I would share a quick and easy recipe for all those peanut butter lovers out there!

How to: Peanut Butter Cake Pops

      Traditionally, cake pops are made with frosting but, I find them too sweet that it overpowers the other components. So, I thought why not try peanut butter as the binding agent? Verdict? It works out perfectly for me.

What you will need:
- any form of sponge cake. (I used the other half remaining from my Lamington's post.)
       Note: I was able to make about 30 small cake balls.
                      The amount you make depends on how small/ big you want them. I wanted them to fit in the small muffin papers so I made them according to that scale.
                      You could always bake your own sponge
                      Grocery bought plain sponges help you save time if you're rushing           
- 1/2 cup of peanut butter
- 350g melting chocolate (I used Cadbury Melting Bits)
- Your choice of decorations
           I used granulated nuts and 100 & 1000s

Method:
1. Crumb your cake in a mixing bowl until it look like breadcrumbs


2. Add your peanut butter into the mixture
3. Knead the peanut butter into the breadcrumbs as if it was raw dough. I find using clean hands works the best to combine
4. Continue kneading the mixture until most of the cake crumbs are tightly densed together. Feel free to add more peanut butter if you want a more peanut-taste or you think it needs a bit more of a binding agent. 
5. Form your desired sized cake balls from the mixture
My desired sized cake ball was small to fit my muffin paper
6. Refrigerate your cake balls for at least an hour so the balls are dense and set
I left mine overnight to refrigerate  
8. Melt some chocolate as we did in my last post (scroll down or click Lamingtons)

Melting chocolate over a double-boiler. (Put mixing bowl over a small pot of simmer/boiling water, making sure the bowl does not touch the water to avoid burnt chocolate) 
9. Coat your cake pops into the melted chocolate and dunk them into your desired topics.
        If you wanted these babies on sticks, just follow the same steps in that 'Lamington' post.
        I chose to only do the top as the richness of peanut butter is already so delicious, it doesn't need chocolate's help.
10. Pop them into your muffin papers and serve

Top of the stand!
        What I love about these cake pops are they're so easy to make especially when you don't have a lot of time on your hands. You can decorate them however you like for whatever occasion and they're always lovely to look at. They're also so versatile so using a vanilla sponge with 'Nutella' as the binder and a white chocolate coating would work or even a chocolate sponge.

          Hope you enjoyed this post and have an amazing rest of the weekends.

          Nibble away,
 
                    Jo x. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...