Monday 30 November 2015

How To: Cookies and Cream Kit Kat Cupcakes

Hi Nibblers!

         I was scanning the aisles of my local supermarket one evening when I stumbled cross 'Cookies and Cream' flavoured Kit Kats. It's always in these moments that recipes come knocking on my door and there's just a vision before me. Luckily enough, I had an occasion to bake for. Sometimes, I want to try things out but there's just not enough friends close by with whom I can give my baked goods to.
         A few weeks ago, I entered the next chapter of my career. For the past eight months, I was on a stepping stone. I learnt valuable skills and was able to figure myself out. I also  made friends with the most wonderful group of people whom supported my baking dreams. They encouraged me to experiment and continue with what I enjoyed. After a few weeks of brainstorming ideas I decided to make my 'Cookies and Cream Kit Kat Cupcakes' come to life as my farewell gift to my friends. I do have to apologise in advanced for the poor photo quality. I had to take pictures at night and my night photography is horrendous. But, I can only go on up from here so bear with me. :)

How To: Cookies and Cream Kit Kat Cupcakes
Makes: 12 cupcakes                                                                                         Duration: approx. 1 hr


What you'll need:
Cupcake Component
- 180g or 1 cup self raising flour
- 50g unsalted butter (softened to room temperature)
- 150g or 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. Vanilla essence
- 80g or 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 250mL milk
- 3/4 of a (170g back) Cookies & Cream Kit Kat strips (roughly crushed)
- 12 medium sized chocolate choc chip cookies
Vanilla Buttercream
- 250g unsalted butter (softened to room temperature)
- 100g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 Tbs milk
- 3 Cookies &


Cream Kit Kat strips quartered / remaining strips (optional - for toppers)
- 3 tsp. baking flour

How To:
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celcius
2. Line cupcake tin with paper liners or lightly spray tin
3. Place one chocolate choc chip cookie top faced down onto tin into each liner
4. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy
5. Add eggs and vanilla essence 
6. In a separate bowl mix self raising flour, cocoa and baking flour 
7. Combine half of the dry ingredients and half of the milk to the wet ingredients then mix until well incorporated 
8. Add second half of dry ingredients and milk to bowl 
9. Place about 3/4 of the crushed Cookies & Cream Kit Kats to mixture and mix until evenly distributed
10. Fill cupcake liners until about half way full
11. Sprinkle remaining Cookies & Cream Kit Kats crumbs onto each cupcake top
12. Pop cupcakes into the oven for 16-18 minutes (ensure skewer comes out clean after cooking time) then set aside to cool
Vanilla Buttercream:
1. Beat butter on high until it turns from a yellow colour to off white tone (takes at least 5 minutes)
2. Add icing sugar and beat until well combined
3. Add vanilla essence and milk and beat for at least another 3 minutes on high
            Note: for a thicker buttercream add a Tbs of icing sugar until desired texture
           For a softer buttercream, add a Tbs of milk until desired texture

Let's Decorate!
Once cupcakes have cooled completely, I used a closed star tip and followed the edges of the cupcake before coming into the centre. I then placed a Kit Kat block on top to finish the look!
Decorating is always the fun bit so let your creative juices flow and do whatever please you. 

I hope you Nibblers enjoyed this recipe! I've been brainstorming ideas for the Christmas season so watch this space in the coming weeks. 



Until then,
Nibble away,


                 Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...