Wednesday 13 April 2016

How To: Pineapple M&Ms Upside Down Cake

Hi Nibblers!

        A few weeks ago, Kevin's Dad turned 50! I didn't have much time to prepare as shift work had my hours all over the place so I needed a cake that was easy and delicious. My only brief was to make it fruity. I was thinking of no bake desserts but nothing really stood out in my mind and mostly incorporated rich chocolate flavours. I rummaged through the pantry and stumbled across a can of pineapples. 'That's it!' I thought and it was then the recipe was born.
        This cake turned out moist and with the slight tartness of the pineapple it ticked all boxes. I added pineapple flavoured M&Ms to the cake for decorative purposes however felt it took away from the natural flavours so feel free to omit that completely. I did pop some in the pan while it was baking but the M&Ms melted hence gave the cake a green hue. I can definitely say it worked in theory but was probably not my best idea. All in all, still a great tasting cake and definitely one you should make if you're short on time!
 

How To: Pineapple M&Ms Upside Down Cake

FullSizeRender
Makes one 20cm tin cake - serves 8-10
What you'll need:
- 525g of tinned pineapple rings (in pineapple juice)
- 3 eggs (separated)
-150g or 2/3 cup of sugar
- 150g or 1 cup of self raising flour
2 tsp. Vanilla essence
- 100mL pineapple juice (from can)
- 30g unsalted butter (melted)
- 30g brown sugar
- 100g Pineapple flavoured M&Ms (optional)
 
How To:
1. Place melted unsalted butter into baking tin and spread even around sides
2. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly on base of tin then set asideIMG_2395
3. Line pineapples rings on base of cake tin to cover all covers (Optional: Place M&Ms in any empty spaces) then roughly dice remaining pineapple pieces then set aside
4. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius or 375 degrees Farenheit
5. Beat separated egg whites on high until fluffy then add 2/3 cups of sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form then set aside
6. In a seperate bowl, mix egg yolks, vanilla essence, remaining pineapple pieces and pineapple juice until well combined - (Optional - add remaining M&Ms)
7. Slowly fold in flour and beaten egg white/sugar into yolky mix approximaIMG_2394tely a third of each mixture each time until all well incorporated
8. Pour cake mixture evenly into tin
9. Pop cake into oven for approximately 30 minutes or until skewer pops out clean
10. Remove from oven then leave to cool for 10 minutes then remove from tin before serving
 
              I loved the end result of this cake. Made in no time and the sponge was oh so soft. It definitely received some rave reviews. If you do give this a go please make sure to leave a comment below letting me how you go!
                Before I end this post, I also wanted to say thank you for sticking by me for the past three years. I've enjoyed every bit of it and it's been amazing to see how much I've improved in these few years. To celebrate, I have decided to move Nibble Nation to a new platform - Wordpress. All my old content has all been imported over and I will no longer be posting to my blogspot account. So, you'll still be able to access everything I have ever posted. If you haven't already and would like to follow me on the next chapter, head to nibblenation.wordpress.com ! I hope to see you there and hope you like the look. It was hard work to start off with but I'm loving the templates on Wordpress and believe things can only improve here on in.
                 FullSizeRender 
FullSizeRender
FullSizeRender
Until next time

            Nibble Away,

                            Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...