Thursday 23 January 2014

'CHUR Burger' Review

Hey Nibblers!

     Catching up with friends over good food is one of my favourite things in the world. Faye and I make it our mission to try new things every time we hang out. I must confess, we haven't exactly been accomplishing our missions as of late. Instead of being adventurous, we've been staying put with the comfort of sushi. On our last two occassions, it's been sushi so when it came to our third meeting we decided to branch out. While I was weighing our options, I stumbled across 'Chur Burger.' At first, I was quite skeptical as after my last burger outing it left me unsatisfied. But as soon as I saw they offered a 'Salted Caramel' milkshake, I just had to give this place a go!

'CHUR Burger'
 Where: 48 Albion St, Surry Hills, NSW, 2010           Website: http://www.churburger.com.au/#menu



        It was busy when we walked in. I loved the tin barrels that were used as chairs that were surprisingly comfy to sit on and the quirky decor of the place. Tables were set up simply and had quick turnovers. When it was time to order, we had a lovely order taker that was very helpful in helping us pick the best items from the menu. It wasn't a difficult task as the menu was so concise and offered great options at reasonable prices.

Grilled beef, cheese, tomato jam, mustard mayo, pickle & burger ($10)
        Faye ordered a 'Salted Caramel' Milkshake ($8), a 'Pulled pork, Chur BBQ sauce, red slaw and fennel mayo' ($10) while I opted for a simple 'Grilled beef, cheese, tomato jam, mustard mayo & pickle burger ($10) & 'Milo' Milkshake ($8). We of course ordered a side of 'Sweet potato fries with garlic and lime.' ($5).
        Service was fast and everything came pretty much at the same time. The first thing that struck me were the polka-dot napkins! Love at first sight. Things were looking good so far. 
         The 'Salted Caramel' Milkshake was perfect. Not too sweet and just the right between salty and sweet. It was really a great partnership with Faye's pulled pork burger. The burger was moist, flavoursome and the pork was so succulent. Mix that in with the red slaw and fennel mayo it's a real winner. It's definitely a MUST. 
'Pulled pork, Chur BBQ sauce, red slaw and fennel mayo' ($10)
         My 'Beef burger' was delicious. They're very generous with their sauce which I love. Another great thing was the buns weren't soggy even mid-way through the meal. While the beef was cooked to a perfect medium-rare, juicy and full of flavour I'm a bit disappointed I couldn't try other burger selections. I feel that any burger place that can do a beef burger well, the chances their other burgers are better run highly. My 'Milo' milkshake was not too sweet so it didn't overpower the burger. While I enjoyed it, I feel I can make something similar at home so would definitely try other flavours next time. 
          I've never had proper sweet potato fries before. While they weren't all equally crunchy, they all had pocketfuls of flavour. The potato inside was creamy and melted with the lime and salty outside. Definitely a go for these fries. They made a very good first impression.


The entrance and 'CHUR' atmosphere inside/ decor
          The burgers are deceptively small. Being the food demolishers that we are, we both struggled to finish the shared sweet potato fries, milkshakes and burgers. So be careful when ordering. I suggest ordering one side between two.
           All in all, I'm glad we branched out. I have still yet to revisit 'CHUR Burger' but it's definitely on my list of things to do in 2014. On another note, I found out that 'Chur' actually means 'awesome' so the name is so fitting. If you're around the area, I definitely should check it out. Leave a comment below if you have and tell me about your experience there.

Nibble Away,
          Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...