Tuesday 11 February 2014

How To: Mango Pancakes with Peanut Butter Cream 'Yum Cha Style'

Hey Nibblers!

       I love me some mangoes. Put that with some whipped cream and I'm yours. But add some peanut butter to the mix and I'm down to food with you all day erryday! I first came up with this peanut butter and mango combination about two years ago. I was pantry hunting at the time (the usual) and saw I had some peanut butter. I grabbed a spoonful of the goodness only I had taken too much, I needed some milk to wash it down. I quickly opened the fridge but alas! no milk. Instead, I saw cold freshly peeled mangoes in the fridge and wolfed it down. The perfect solution. And it was in that moment that I found a match made in heaven. Now, I know mangoes and peanuts go together but when paired with peanut butter it's ten times better.
       I couldn't think of a recipe to do this one justice. At first I thought perhaps cupcakes but then I went to Yum Cha for brunch a few weeks earlier and it was there I found the answer. I'm a sucker for 'Mango Pancakes.' I thought I could tweak this recipe and instead of a Chantilly cream, use peanut butter cream. And with Valentine's Day less than a week away, here's how to make 'Mango Pancakes with Peanut Butter Cream,' that's guaranteed to win you some brownie points.


What you'll need:
Makes 6-7 Crepes/Pancakes (23cm in diameter)
- 3 eggs
- 2 Tbs. of caster sugar
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 drop of yellow food colouring (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla essence
- 50g plain flour
- 1/2 cup of milk (125ml)
- 1/4 of tsp. salt
The Filling:
- 1-2 large mangoes
- 150g thickened cream (heavy cream)
- 1 Tbs. caster sugar
- 1tsp. vanilla essence
- 1 Tbs. smooth Peanut Butter
      Note: Omit the Peanut Butter if you just want cream

How To: Crepes/Pancakes component
1. Beat eggs, sugar, food dye, oil, vanilla essence and milk until well combined
2. Add salt and flour and stir until incorporated
3. Sieve the crepe/pancake batter through a sift into a new bowl to rid of the lumps

4. Cover the batter mixture and leave at room temperature for 30-60 minutes (It should be quite watery after the rest time)
The Filling: Attend to filling component now while waiting
5. Cut and peel the cheeks of two mangoes slicing diagonally (with flat surface faced down) into approximately 0.5cm slices and leave in the fridge until needed
6. Fill a large bowl with water and ice to make an ice bath (To ensure the cream doesn't split)
7. Pop a small mixing bowl into the ice bath and add cream, sugar, vanilla and peanut butter
8. Whisk until soft peaks and set aside until needed
Crepes/Pancake component
9. Lightly spray frypan (If it's a non-stick fry pan, you won't need to oil it)
10. Heat frypan on low heat
11. Using  a small ladle or 1/4 cup, mix the crepe batter and then add into the middle of the fry pan
12. Swirl the batter around the pan to the edges
13. Cover the frypan and leave for approx. 2 minutes or until lightly brown around the edges

14. Slide the crepe/ pancake onto a plate and repeat until the batter is finished
15. Cover the crepes/ pancake with some cling film and leave in the fridge to cool for approx. 30 minutes
16. Construct pancake!
        - Flip pancake onto the side in which the pancake was cooked on the frypan

Non-fried side
Cooked side
     












        - Place 2 mango slices 3 cm from the bottom arc in the middle of the pancake

        - Add a dollop of peanut cream across and on top of the mango
        - Fold the sides inwards

I made normal whipped cream ones for my Mum as well

        - Fold the bottom upwards and roll

        - Mango Pancake with Peanut Butter Cream complete!
           

     Super excited about this recipe. It was a winner with my family and I will definitely be making it again. It's so easy you won't want to buy them again! I also love how these crepes/pancakes are so easy to customise that you can add whatever you fancy. If you give these a go or have anymore questions, leave a comment below.


   Nibble Away,  
                            Jo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...